Tuesday 22 January 2013

Pretentious wankery

I've had some bad hangovers at work. I've been out dancing til 4am, gone into work on three hours sleep and crashed epically come 2pm. I've been so hungover I was unable to write an address label without wanting to throw up. Hell, after our company away day, I turned up to work still drunk and had to have a Bloody Mary at lunchtime.

Today, I was very hungover.

Last night S rolled through the door just as I was about to make a start on dinner and wanted to know if I wanted to go to a gig with her and Russell Brand at an achingly trendy and super-exclusive members only bar/club not far from our flat. Ordinarily I would have said no outright - I hadn't eaten yet, I had work the next day, a programme we were both absorbed in was on TV at 9 - and then I decided fuck it, I'm 24 and living in the best city in the world. It's Monday night, I have no plans, let's live a little. So we went out, and we lived.

The night started poorly, when I was forcibly reminded how much I hate going out with S. Basically, S is beautiful. In fact, S is what I spent several years desperately trying to achieve through a combination of makeup, hairdye and the power of prayer. She is tall and slim, has a figure most models would kill for, a stunning face, and has the most amazing long, thick red hair. In contrast, I am short with a fine, messy crop of (dyed) red hair which needs re-doing. I have long since given up hope and have just accepted my fate, but I had forgotten what it was like to go to a bar with her and despite her being all over Russell Brand, have the majority of guys gawping at her while I stand around and feel like a piece of slightly ugly furniture.

No comments:

Post a Comment